Tuesday 3 December 2013

From Thought to Action!



My name is Stephanie and I don't show my teeth when I smile.  It's because I have a giant overbite and my teeth are huge don't like my smile.  So, I asked my amazing boss, who also happens to do orthodontics, if she could fix my smile.  She said yes!

Here's how we got from yes to braces.

Step 1:  Orthodontic Consultation
(or, dipping that toe to see what it's like)

About a month ago, I started the process with an Orthodontic Consultation.  It took about 20 minutes, and it involved Dr. Yong looking in my mouth with her mirror and explorer...that's it!  The best part?  It was FREE!  I had told her that I was particularly interested in Invisalign (the invisible braces!) that my husband has had.  She took a look and after this quick consultation, she was able to tell me the cost, as well as the approximate length of my orthodontic treatment...and sadly, no Invisalign for me.  My case is a lot more involved than my husband's and it would take too long and may not give me the best results.  This appointment did not set my cost or length of treatment in stone, but gave me a good idea of what I was looking at to start this adventure.

Krystal - Super Hygienist!
The next step was to book my Orthodontic Records Appointment.  

Step 2:  Orthodontic Records 
(or views of your teeth you didn't know existed)

This appointment took a little longer - closer to 30 minutes - and was with our Hygienist, Krystal.  The appointment cost is $300 - my insurance was able to cover it at 50%, which meant my portion was $150.  



First, Krystal took a Panorex X-ray.  This x-ray is exactly what it sounds like; a panoramic view of my mouth.  






Second, she took a Cepholometric X-ray (around here, we call them Cephs).  This one is a profile shot of my entire head!  It was really cool and let me see my bite, as well as my skull (LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT CRANIUM!!  Just sayin')!  If I was a whole lot younger, I was told they would take a wrist x-ray in order to determine potential growth...but at the tender age of 31, I'm pretty sure I'm not growing any more!  These x-rays will be "traced" and measured and used to help plot the progress of my orthodontic treatment.  They help Dr. Yong determine how much movement is possible, and where things will go once we start.  




The next step was to take a whole bunch of pictures of my teeth.  

I'm not going to lie, this part was a little embarrassing!  When you're self conscious of your smile, the last thing you want is a camera just inches away from your teeth and a mirror in your mouth to make things even more obvious!  However, Krystal made me feel super comfortable, and although it was a little weird at first, we ended up laughing our way through it.  

The pictures, I was told, will help Dr. Yong with the aesthetics of the movement and help her get things looking straight and working well!  It also provides an amazing record of the journey which I will share with all of you!



Check out my chompers!
The last step was to take Impressions of my top and bottom teeth.  These impressions are an identical representation of my mouth and again, help Dr. Yong determine what needs to move where, what issues need to be corrected and again, provides an awesome record of where I started from.  They also make great selfie props or art for your mantle piece at home.



  




Step 3:  Financial Consultation
(or, The Nitty Gritty - how much?  how long?)


About a week later, I had one last appointment - the Financial Consultation.  Dr. Yong laid out my treatment, options, issues that may arise, cost and approximate length.  She showed me what she was talking about using my models and x-rays and   It also gave me an opportunity to ask questions.  Again, this was a FREE appointment.

Treatment: 
Traditional Braces (I am not a candidate for Invisalign) on the top at first, and, since they don't need to move as much, on the bottom later.

Options:  
Metal brackets or ceramic brackets (they are an additional $500, but will give me a more "invisible" look)

Possible Issues:  
I have an over bite, and a very skinny palate (top of my mouth) - I may need expansion, or surgery to correct this.  We can try to correct this with braces, but we may need intervention, depending on how things go.  The choice is mine.

Cost:
$5500 with metal brackets or $6000 for ceramic (tooth coloured) braces.

I have opted for ceramic braces...I'm vain!  

$600 up front, 27 monthly payments of $200 for a total of $6000.  My insurance covers 50%, up to a life time maximum of $2000.  That means that each month, they will cover $100 of my $200 payment (until they reach $2000) the rest of the money will become my responsibility.

Length of Treatment:  
18 months-24 months (or longer, depending on whether or not I need other intervention - like surgery - to correct my bite)

That's it!  After my questions had been answered, we went over what I was an was not allowed to eat while doing my orthodontic treatment (I nearly cried...) and I signed my life away!

Step 4:  The day you get your Braces
(or:  Goodbye gummi bears, it was nice knowing you.)


BEFORE
That brings us to today...the day that my teeth started their amazing journey back to where they should be in my mouth!  

I was pretty nervous - everyone knew it too...but again, those wonderful women I work with made me feel super comfy and talked to me about what would be happening which made me feel a lot better.  Even though I know what happens at these appointments, when it's happening to you, it's a whole other story!

I started with Krystal who gave me a pumice "scrub" of my teeth to prepare them for the glue that would be holding the brackets.  It was gritty and my teeth felt a little rough when we were done.  When describing this process to my mechanic dad after getting the braces put on, he told me it sounded like my teeth were getting body work - lots of sanding and priming and sanding and priming and sanding and sanding so that the paint will stick.  My teeth are now the same as a car.  Thanks, Dad.      


Carolyn - Assistant Extroidnaire
Dr. Yong - Professional Teeth Straightener 
Anyway, after a good scrub, Dr. Yong and her assistant, Carolyn, put in a mouth "bow" that held my lips back from my teeth and gave them a big area to work in.  I'm sure that was a pretty sight - one I will spare you given you've seen a million close ups of my teeth already.  They continued with even more preparation of my teeth (See, really they really are like a car...)  Once they had been fully prepped, they started placing the brackets.  The shocking part for me?  None of this hurt.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but there was absolutely no reason to be nervous.  This was easy!  

After they had placed and used their fancy light to make the glue go hard to adhere the brackets to my teeth, they started placing the wire and the tiny elastics (Krystal calls them "donuts"...lol) that hold it in place.  In order to keep things nice and not obvious, I opted for white elastics.  I know, a little boring, but they do keep things as incognito as possible!  They felt a little weird going on - but again, not painful, like I was expecting.  After a few more minutes, we were done.  

Does it hurt?  No, not yet.  Trust me, I'll tell you if it does.  It really feels weird.  You have no idea how far your teeth stick out until they have an extra centimetre on the front of them...I'm told I'll get used to it.  I'm not so sure...lol

Total time:  1 hour 15 minutes...TA DAAAA!

AFTER
Stay tuned for my journey - the good, the bad and the ugly!

Keep Smiling!
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment